Saturday, July 23, 2011

When Fitness shows. . .

I had a really good run today. Not just because my avg pace was less than 11:30 per mile for a 60 min run - and not just because I ran 5.3 miles at 82 degrees with 80% humidity- feeling like 89 degrees.

Here's why:
I have been wanting to go back to the weekly Saturday morning training runs with one of the local running shoe companies- but just haven't. . .until today. I have signed up for another half marathon on November 5 and decided this week I better get much more serious about my training if I plan to complete it. I got up at 6am this morning- without any idea how long we were going to run today. In my head, thought it might be 45 minutes- but had no clue. Showed up to the announcement that it was 60 mins. For the first time ever- I didn't panic about that. I mean, I know it was hot- I knew it had been awhile since I ran that long- but hey- I was here, I was up- and darn it, I was going to do it. I took off on the run and felt good the entire time- legs felt strong, lungs felt strong - body didn't rebel. It felt GREAT actually. Towards the end- the running group sponsors had set up a water station at the final mile - and I took a brief pause for some water- and another girl stopped shortly after I did. She took off again right as I did- and we both smiled and sighed that we were glad it was the last mile. Then she kept pace with me until the end. Then a very unusual (for me) thing happened - when we finished and I said "good job- it's hot out here!) - she said "How fast do you run?" and I said "It varies, but usually anywhere from 11 to 11.5 min miles usually" and she said "I usually run with another partner but I want to get faster which is why I was keeping pace with you at the end" This MADE MY DAY. I mean, I am not breaking any speed records - but for someone want to use ME and MY pace to help them get faster made me feel really good. I've stopped caring about pace - and the funny thing is- I run faster now. I still keep track of it- and like that it is improving- but I don't obsess about it like I once did.

The Title - When Fitness Shows - I'm always amazed by what the human body will do- if you nudge it just a little. I've been running but not really regularly- and almost never more than 30 minutes since the Ragnar Relay in June. I was shocked how well my body performed on today's extra hot run after not having tackled that distance in awhile. And after? I felt better than I ever used to. Before, when I first started training - I would run 5 miles and then hobble from car to home because I was so sore. Today- I bounced out of my van into the house and took off to a pool party after a quick shower. It doesn't happen overnight- but eventually- your fitness shows, when you least expect it.

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome testimonial!! Fitness is a gift. It's just a gift we have to work hard for. But it pays off. :)

    ReplyDelete