Monday, August 23, 2010

Get OUT and RUN!

Oh, open road, how I have missed you!

I am a total wuss when it comes to high heat and humidity- preferring the hamster wheel-like treadmill to run in relative cool. I can handle anything under 85 degrees with lower humidity - but above that and I'm miserable.
I have not run outside in some time- probably going on almost 2 months of only running on a treadmill.
However, today's forecast was 81, sunny and not too humid- and I heard it calling my name.

I think my feet were kissing the road with each heel strike. Those dips are short walk breaks - and I walked for the first 2-3 minutes to warm up - my average running pace during the run portions was around 10:00mm! I didn't look at any of my gadgets while running because I didn't want to feel the need to keep up or move faster- just wanted to listen to my body and respond - and I'm so glad I did.

This graph shows me that I've made real improvements in my fitness. I know there will still be "bad run" days- but this distance, this pace - it was not possible for me 1 year ago. It is really satisfying to know that if you really stick with something, you can truly amaze yourself.

1 comment: